Monday 17 June 2013

Setting a Woman on Fire

Misogyny, sexism, and domestic abuse have long been a problem in India, so its nice to finally see a progressive man whos willing to let his mom do a job that was previously reserved only for males. Two years ago in Mumbai, Mangal Bharat Thorat had an argument with her daughter-in-law over a dowry before the 62-year-old Thorat beat the girl, poured kerosene over her and set her ablaze.
Now, my hyper-fear of the elderly means that from time to time I prepare for the hundreds of hypothetical situations in which they may try to kill me and/or devour my youth, but I can honestly say that I have no contingency plan for being set on fire by senior citizens. Several things would have to go wrong to afford a 62-year-old woman the time to not only to collect kerosene, but douse me in it, strike a match and throw it at me.
Thanks for waiting, I can never remember where my husband puts the candles.
This crime is also frightening because its so far removed from common sense. Aside from being a grossly inappropriate reaction to an argument with an in-law, it also seems to be the least likely way to get more money from the brides family. Thorat received life in prison for the crime which is a small consequence to a 62-year-old woman. I think the lesson we can all glean here is that senior citizens are particularly dangerous because they have nothing to lose.


Read more: http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-5-most-horrifying-crimes-committed-by-senior-citizens/#ixzz2WY3w1g2P

No comments:

Post a Comment